What’s Coming to Paramount+ (US) in April 2025

  ORIGINALS, EXCLUSIVES, PREMIERES & EVENTS 4/1 The Last Stop in Yuma County* While stranded at a rural Arizona rest stop, a traveling salesman is thrust into a dire hostage situation by the arrival of two bank robbers with no qualms about using cruelty-or cold, hard steel-to protect their bloodstained fortune.   4/1 Before Dawn*  After leaving his family’s sheep farm in the Australian outback, a young man joins his countrymen on the western front of World War I with hopes of helping expedite an end to the bloody conflict.    4/6 An Evening with Elton John and Brandi Carlile special**  Filming on March 26 at London’s iconic Palladium Theatre, the primetime concert special will feature live performances from Elton John and Brandi Carlile, including a selection of their individual greatest hits, captivating stories about the pair’s enduring friendship and an exclusive preview of their new joint album, “Who Believes in Angels.”    4/15 The Carter...

Roy Wood Jr. Leaves 'The Daily Show' After Eight Years

 
The Daily Show is returning to Comedy Central after five and a half months following the Writers Guild of America strike on October 16. However when it does so it will be down one correspondent. Roy Wood Jr. has announced he has departed the show, over 8 years after debuting when most recent permanent host Trevor Noah, who left last December, debuted in September 2015.

His decision came down to the fact that the fight for a new fair contract went on so long that the show will not be seating a new permanent host until 2024, and he hasn't been offered the gig. Whether anyone has is unknown as much of the field seems to still be in contention but Wood's chosen to move on and figure out his next move instead of staying and working with who he was passed over for.

"I can't come up with Plan B is while still working with Plan A," he says. "The job of correspondent...it's not really one where you can juggle multiple things. [And] I think eight years is a good run." Wood says he is in the dark as to whether he is still under consideration to become host but he has already informed the network of his decision. "What could they really say?" he adds when asked how the cable channel responded. [They're] not going to give me the job just to keep me."

"If you're offered the chance to host The Daily Show at any point in your life...you have to stop for a second and consider that," he adds. While he had not informed the show of his decision, the source seems to have done the job for him as a spokesperson sent this brief statement: "Roy Wood Jr. is a comedic genius and beloved teammate. His insights and hilarity helped us make sense of the 2016 election, the pandemic, and countless hours of Fox News. We thank him for his time with us and can't wait to see what he does next."

Wood was this year's attention-getting host of the White House Correspondents' Dinner, soon after he did his guest host stint on The Daily Show in April, as the show had been utilizing guests hosts all year to the point of the strike and will continue for the rest of the year. Wood's week had the second-best ratings of the show's first 11 guest hosts, second only to Al Franken and beating Hasan Minhaj, the media's reported frontrunner who hit a stumble in recent weeks. Wood had several comedypersons' endorsements to be permanent host.

He says the Variety story about Minhaj, which Comedy Central has not yet publicly confirmed, made him think more about his future on the show. He also believes it and the New Yorker story where Minhaj confesses his standup has contained embellishments and falsehoods, does not weaken or disqualify his (Minhaj's) candidacy. "I think Hasan checks a lot of boxes that the network would want and people would want," Wood remarks. "Hasan's young, he's global and he has the political I.Q."

Wood's comedy specials for the network, subtitled Father Figure, No One Loves You, and Imperfect Messenger, are streaming on Paramount+ as well.

Source: NPR

Comments